Internship - Software Engineer
Research shows that women and underrepresented groups only apply to jobs only if they think they meet 100% of the qualifications on a job description. IMO is committed to considering all candidates even if you don’t think you meet 100% of the qualifications listed. We look forward to receiving your application!
Work that is meaningful. A job that has impact. Colleagues that inspire. That’s what you’ll find at Intelligent Medical Objects (IMO), a growing health IT company creating clinical terminology and insights solutions that are used by more than 500,000 US physicians and 4,500 US hospitals to power better patient care and support meaningful analytics.
At IMO, a core team of clinicians, software developers, and data scientists combine computer science and medical expertise to help patients and healthcare professionals access high quality health information quickly and easily to improve total patient health. We are currently in need of Software Engineering Interns to join our team!
Gain experience writing, clean, quality, and testable code in a fast-paced collaborative environment. Contribute to innovative approaches to complex problems. Work and learn in a small cross functional agile team. Lead and participate in design and architecture decisions. Be passionate and continue to hone your craft in real world scenarios.
Join our growing Software Engineering department as a Software Engineering Intern to help design, create, and support high quality solutions that support 80% of US clinicians!
Internship Location: We are following safety precautions regarding office openings. Should the office be open by your start date, the internship will either be a hybrid model (combo of WFH and in-office) or fully in-office in Rosemont at HQ. This is subject to change depending on developing guidelines. You must be open to all 3 scenarios - Remote, Hybrid, and In-Office.
What You'll Do:
- Deliver quality code via unit and integration testing through a suite of automated tests
- Perform basic source code management tasks at the direction of more senior software engineers
- Work with the team who are responsible for coding, validating, debugging, reliability, performance analysis and the ongoing operational aspects of the product in an Agile environment
- Troubleshoot and resolves low to moderate complexity software bugs or issues, with close direction from more senior software engineers, and finds the root cause
- Write automated unit and integration-level tests with direction from other team members
- Follow development standards and effectively demonstrates technical solutions to other software engineers in code reviews
- Coordinate with all cross functional team members to analyze issues
- Document unit test procedures and participate in software development process to perform all tests on designs and ensure compliance with development standards
- Work cooperatively with team members to manage conflict constructively and foster trust, commitment, accountability.
- Deliver quality product leveraging the values of transparency, inspection and adaptation
- Take ownership to proactively anticipate the implications and consequences of situations
- Implement creative solutions to technical challenges and embraces out-of-the-box thinking
What You'll Need:
- Diverse Sophomore or Junior level classroom experience and a passion within the field of Math, Statistics, Informatics, Information Sciences, Engineering, Computer Science or related.
- Curiosity for technical challenges and an eagerness to explore new approaches.
- Familiarity with software development and the willingness and capacity to learn
- Familiarity working with cloud technologies (AWS preferred)
- Awareness of software construction and principles
- Ability to follow good development practices like test automation, CI/CD, source version control, etc.
- Your voice (whether it’s a loud one or a quiet one). We believe in communicating. Ideas, needs, questions, concerns, good jokes.. Remember when we said we welcome your point of view? We meant it.
- An autonomous attitude. Of course, we’re here to teach, support and guide you through the internship, but ultimately, you will own projects and your development.
What We'll Give You:
- Training from the best. Collectively, we’ve got years of expertise in Healthcare and IT.
- Extensive team-specific training that will drive your trajectory (classroom & beyond)
- Coaching on the non-technical stuff like presentation skills, business etiquette, résumé workshop, etc.
- A challenge. We’re here to push you. Our goal is to fill your summer with experience and connections you won’t forget. Probably a little fun, too.
- The opportunity to directly influence our products.
At IMO, we celebrate diversity and are committed to creating an inclusive environment for all employees. IMO is proud to be an equal opportunity workplace and is an affirmative action employer.