Semantic Web Engineer
Terminology Data Engineering
Research shows that women and underrepresented groups only apply to jobs only if they think they meet 100% of the qualifications on a job description. IMO is committed to considering all candidates even if you don’t think you meet 100% of the qualifications listed. We look forward to receiving your application!
Work that is meaningful. A job that has impact. Colleagues that inspire. That’s what you’ll find at Intelligent Medical Objects (IMO), a growing health IT company creating clinical terminology and insights solutions that are used by more than 740,000 US physicians and 4,500 US hospitals to power better patient care and support meaningful analytics.
Semantic Web Engineers (SWE) at IMO are key members of our ontology-driven engineering teams. You will be a specialist working with multiple teams to virtualize huge volumes of complex medical terminology as we scale our Stardog database footprint. The Semantic Web Engineer's work will be critical to achieving IMO’s goals to deliver a more comprehensive and reactive source of clinical terminology to healthcare professionals.
You will use your experience with ontology architecture and tooling to harmonize and leverage complex sources to develop automated approaches to large volume data ingestion. You will be pivotal not just to ingesting/virtualizing existing content, but building inferences and reasoning across it. This work will drastically improve content relationships and the quality of content that we provide to over 740,000 physicians every day.
- Be a resident expert in semantic web development on cross-skilled clinical, content and data teams as we develop meaningful data relationship experiences, including using state-of-the-art Natural Language Processing and Machine Learning techniques.
- Work closely with the Semantic Architect (SA) to standardize the tooling, approaches, and patterns that can be broadly used at IMO and partner on design challenges. You will also help orient the SA to specific content and problem space, design concerns, and product goals.
- Design and write quality source code, including documentation of detail level designs.
- Leverage automation across testing, integration, and deployment activities.
- Work hand-in-hand with product owners to break down features into actionable user stories.
- Find, evaluate, recommend, and reason against existing taxonomies / ontologies that may be applicable to our work. Design and publish taxonomies/ontologies to describe the core concepts of our domain when other sources are non-existent or incomplete.
- Refine and grow the governance process for structured data.
- Aid in the implementation, growth, and maturation of the use of an enterprise ontology / graph data management software.
- A relevant STEM BA/BS Degree and three years of relevant coding experience, or five years of relevant professional experience in semantic web development using multiple languages (Python, Java, Node.js, C#).
- Experience with JSON-LD, GraphQL or similar tools, and integration with web-based UI for knowledge engineers.
- High level of proficiency in database querying (SQL, NoSQL) and familiarity with RDF, OWL, and SPARQL.
- Exposure to graph data systems, ideally in a medical/life sciences context. Virtualization of massive relational data sets via Stardog is ideal.
- Familiar with agile development, incorporating Continuous Integration and Continuous Delivery (CI/CD), utilizing technologies such as GIT, Jenkins.
- Experience mentoring and leading junior engineers, communicating and providing effective interface between departments and stakeholders, and leading teams to decision making.
- Knowledge of Healthcare Ontologies and Healthcare Standard Terminologies (LOINC, SNOMED-CT, RxNorm, ICD10-CM) is a plus.
At IMO, we celebrate diversity and are committed to creating an inclusive environment for all employees. IMO is proud to be an equal opportunity workplace and is an affirmative action employer.
IMO also provides visa sponsorship opportunities. Please don't hesitate to apply if you meet all the qualifications for this position and require visa sponsorship.